Ants can be quite resilient when it comes to raiding your home. One moment you are enjoying your privacy and the next you have uninvited guests in your living room intent on driving you out of your home. The fact that they are numerous makes the task of driving them out a challenge. If you don’t rethink your strategy by using the most effective tool, then you could be fighting a losing battle. The following is a list of the best ant killers on the market you can choose from and reclaim your home.
What to consider
Types of ants
There are numerous species of ants, and each may react differently to a particular insecticide. It is possible for one ant killer to be more efficient on one species than the other.
Before you run to the store, identify first the type of ants you are dealing with. It would be disappointing to get a product that will end up proving ineffective in the long run.
If you are unsure of the type of ants you are dealing with, Google, and the images and description will help identify them. The first rule of war is to know your enemy well to determine how to defeat them effectively. Don’t unknowingly bring a knife to a gunfight in your combat with the ants.
The presence of ants in your home is disconcerting. It is understandable if you want to get rid of the pesky insects quickly. However, speed does not always translate to efficiency. Fast acting ant killers possibly kill a portion of the ant empire leaving others to grow. Within no time, the same ants you thought you eliminated will be knocking at your door.
The slow acting types are more efficient and get rid of ants from the young to the old. They decimate a whole colony, and so chances of reconstruction are very minimal.
So unless you are expecting important guests at your home in the next few days, choose the slow acting but efficient ant killers. However, it depends on your preference.
All insecticides are harmful to your health. However, you can always choose the kind of insecticides you want to use depending on who is in your household.
The powder form of ant killer may be better if you live alone. If there are kids and pets, then the powder ant killer can be a health hazard. The spray and liquid forms may be better in such a case as there would not be any visible traces to arouse the interest of your kids and animals.
Also, make sure that the handling of the insecticides is not complicated. Some chemicals require a particular manner of handling for efficiency and safety. However, the procedures involved may be challenging to fulfill, and that can make them a safety hazard.
Determining the effectiveness of a particular insecticide is among the hardest things to do. You can never rely on the marketing jargon as it is full of chest thumping. However, there are nitty-gritty ways of determining an effective ant killer.
The reputation of a manufacturer may inform you of how useful an insecticide will be. We all know that one manufacturer that produces the best product in the market. In the majority of cases, buying from them is similar to buying quality and effective products. For example, you cannot expect a low-quality car from Porsche, so buying from them is similar to buying the best.
Reviews from other users can inform you how much a particular product fares. You can go online and read what people that have used the product are saying and then move from there. You may get to learn a few things relating to the ease of use, side effects, and speed of the ant killer from the reviews. You can also ask your friends or relatives of the experiences they had with the insecticides.
Your former experience with the product will also be a good source of information on the effectiveness of the product. There is no reason not to go for a product that proved useful the last time you used it. But then again, you would not be returning for the ant killer if at all it was effective.
The cost of the ant killer matters a lot. In the majority of cases, the most effective ant killers are not the cheapest, of course. You will get what you pay for. However, it would not make any sense to break the bank for a product that you will probably use for a short time. The chemical should neither be too expensive nor too cheap.
The Best Ant Killers Reviewed
TERRO PreFilled Liquid Ant Killer II Baits
- Convenient, ready-to-use bait stations with fast-acting formula
- Liquid ant killer bait station kills all common household ants
Terro has established themselves as probably the best manufacturers of ant killer. The ant killer is a rapid action formula that kills ants within a short period. You will probably like it as it does not leave a mess around – there are neither spills nor drips and so is appropriate for both indoor and outdoor use.
What I like about this bait is its effectiveness in eliminating every last member of the colony. It is designed in a way that worker ants consume the formula and live long enough to take some of the product back home and pass it along to others.
- Easy to use
- Does not dry out easily
- Effective insecticide
- You may need to keep using it until all ants are gone – it is fast acting ant killer that prioritizes speed.
Advion Ant Gel
- Indoxacarb .05%
- Indoor Use Directions For Advion Ant Gel- Inspect infested areas carefully to determine overall infestation levels, locations of foraging, nesting areas, and most appropriate application points. Indoor application includes cracks and crevices along walls or floors, behind or under equipment or appliances, under tables, within framing of tables or furniture, around sinks, within or near garbage collection areas, attics, crawl spaces, and cracks and crevices in
For those that have no idea the kind of ants they dealing with, then this may be a good option for them. I have previously been in the same situation where I have wondered which kind of insect I was dealing with and this ant killer may be the best dealing with such circumstances.
The gel’s attraction to ants is very high and probably highly destructive to them. If you have a colony of sweet eating ants around your home, this may be the product for you.
- Effective on a wide variety of ants
- Safe for pets when directions are followed
- Has a high attraction to ants
- Long lasting
- Reasonable price based on the quality
- May prove ineffective on particular non-sugar eating ants
- The ants may avoid it
Ortho 12-Ounce Orthene Fire Ant Killer
- Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer1 kills the queen and destroys the mound, treats up to 162 mounds and requires no watering-in to be effective
- KILLS IN MINUTES: This treatment takes only minutes to apply, and begins killing in just 60 minutes, so you can get back to enjoying your yard fast
The best ant killer is the probably the one that kills the queen, and this product does just that. Ortho is also a well-known manufacturer for effective insecticides and so may be assured of quality. If Ortho 12-Ounce Orthene, is used effectively it can kill all ants in a colony.
Within minutes of application, the ants come in their large numbers to take the formula and may all be dead the following day. However, you will need to be wary of light wind as it disperses the powder off the target making it ineffective.
- Has a money back guarantee
- No need for watering-ins
- Kills the mounds within days
- Kills other bugs in your home as well
- Can fail to reach the queen especially when the mound is disturbed in the process of application
- Unproven for large infestations
Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb
- Diatomaceous earth you can trust - Our obsession to create the purest food Grade diatomaceous earth affects every aspect of our business, from the quality of the deposits we mine from, to the stainless Steel equipment that handles the De.
- The only official supplement - we are the only producers of food grade diatomaceous earth products that meet all requirements for health supplements in the USA
Some of us are serious about having a positive impact on the environment. This product is one effective pest controller that will safely take care of your ant problem and not pollute the environment.
Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade has no additives and no contaminants. It is quite safe for your children, as well as, the pets. However, this product can irritate your nostrils – so wear a mask. Generally, this product is a decent choice that can be both effective and safe.
- A green solution to your ant problem
- Can act as a perimeter barrier
- Effective on pest and insect control
- Easy to use
- Safe for your pets and children
- Can irritate your nostrils
- May fail to reach the queen
Raid Ant & Roach Killer Insecticide Spray
- Kills on contact.
- Residual kill of ants and roaches works for up to four weeks.
Sometimes the ants can invade you in their large numbers and may not have time to wait for some bait station to work. You need something that would kill the ants on contact and this aerosol spray may be your thing. The spray kills on contact and may continue doing so for probably four weeks.
People tend to avoid aerosols because among other things, the lingering odor. Raid has taken care of this and has various pleasant scents including the fragrance-free variety. This is a great option but it is always a good idea to avoid inhaling insect spray.
- A fasts acting insecticide that kills on contact
- Easy to use – you just aim and “pull the trigger”
- Various nice scents
- Kills a variety of ants
- Does not have a lingering odor
- A cheap option
- May not reach the queen
- An asthma attack risk
- A short term solution
When ants decide to invade your home, they don’t relent until you find the right product to drive them out before they do. The most effective should eliminate the entire colony. The above products are probably some of the most effective in the market. You can pick the one that fits your situation or check other ant killer reviews.
However, Advion Ant Gel is a decent selection based on a number of factors. First, it is safe for your pets and children when directions for use are followed to the letter. The gel is economical as a single squeeze can go for days attracting the ants and killing them. Lastly, the gel is fast acting and probably kills the annoying ants within a short time.