No one wants to think about bad happening in their home, which is why installing a carbon monoxide detector is often overlooked. These devices can help save you or your loved ones, an should be mandatory in every home.
Carbon monoxide detectors vary in size, price, and number of features. Some even dual as smoke detectors. Whatever your budget or your needs, there is a product for you. Here are the top seven best carbon monoxide detectors of 2023.
Table of Contents
Best Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarms For 2023
First Alert CO615 Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector
The First Alert CO615 Carbon Monoxide Alarm uses both electricity and backup batteries to ensure that your home is always protected. It has a digital, backlit display for easy reading. While this product is fairly standard, its dimensions are a bit larger than other similar alarms. It has the tendency to stick out from the wall and because of its weight, might not fit snug in the electric outlet.
– compatible with all home outlets
– includes a backup battery in case the power goes out
– display is backlit for easy reading at night
– continuously monitors your home’s CO poison level and will sound alarm if reached
– has a test button to ensure alarm is functioning properly
– has a signal that lets users know when the alarm is reaching its end of life
– displays the highest concentration level of carbon monoxide
– cord is 6 feet long
– comes with a 7-year limited warranty
– may be too heavy to continuously fit in wall plug
– is fairly large and sticks far out from wall
– batteries may not fit properly in their slot
– plastic makes it seem flimsy
First Alert SC07CN Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm
The First Alert SC07CN Carbon Monoxide Alarm seems like a good buy because it also acts as a smoke detector. While the alarm states that it uses special sensors to prevent false alarms, it has a history of performing otherwise.
– is a combination of both a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide alarm
– price is similar to other alarms that just detect carbon monoxide, so this is of good value
– alarm is programmable to alert users through speech where the location of threat is
– works to prevent false alarms through photoelectric sensors
– multiple sources of carbon monoxide can be detected through electrochemical sensors
– operated by battery
– comes with 2 AA batteries and user’s manual
– comes with a 5-year limited warranty
– only powered by battery, not electricity, so be sure to test and replace batteries regularly
– has a history of alerting false alarms
– alerts when batteries need to be changed, but expects them to be changed immediately
– can be turned on by nearby light bulbs or infrared remotes
Google Nest Carbon Monoxide Detector
Smart Homes are all the rage right now, and Nest is an extremely popular control to have throughout your home.
Nest’s Carbon Monoxide Detector doubles as a Smoke Fire Alarm and can attach itself to other Nest products. It also uses home WiFi to alert you of carbon monoxide poison levels or smoke threats – when detected Nest will alert everyone by sounding an alarm and sending notice to your phone.
While there are many benefits to this product, its price can be a major deterrent to some.
– Nest Lab monoxide detector is beautifully designed by Google
– uses human voice alerts instead of beeps to provide clear warnings
– works as a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm
– can be paired with your smart phone to receive alerts
– sends a message to your phone when batteries need to be changed
– works with other Nest Lab products for a seamless system: thermostat, indoor/outdoor security camera, doorbell, and alarm system
– alert tells you what the problem is and where in the house it is located
– uses advanced technology to detect severity of fire (it’s good to know burnt popcorn vs. hazardous fire warning)
– carbon monoxide sensor is good for 10-years
– Google’s Nest is considerably more expensive than ordinary carbon monoxide detectors
Kidde Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Alarm
The Kidde Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Detector is a mid-price range device that detects both carbon monoxide and explosive gas. It can be mounted three different ways and has a digital display. While it is supposed to detect explosive gas, there have been numerous instances where this did not happen, so it may not be as reliable as you would like.
– has a digital display for easy reading
– can see the peak CO levels recorded since the device was last reset
– there are three different mounting options
– alarm detects both carbon monoxide and explosive gas
– plugs into any home electric outlet
– 9-volt battery backup is included
– comes with a 6-foot extension cord
– meant to work for 7 years
– comes with a 5-year limited warranty
– alarm can be too complicated to set up and read
– problems detecting gas
– can beep without cause
First Alert C0710 Carbon Monoxide Alarm
The First Alert C0710 Carbon Monoxide Alarm is a nice, basic, dependable unit. If you want something reliable with few frills, this is a good alarm to look into. As a bonus, its digital display records the inside temperature.
– digital display is backlit and easy to read
– will show both temperature and CO concentration
– light blue LED display makes it preferable for night visibility
– battery is built-in and has a 10-year life span
– design is modern and meant to blend in with most décor
– alarm is at 85-decibels so you can always hear when the alarm goes off
– has a test/silence button for convenience
– battery is built-in, so once it dies, whole unit needs to be replaced
– only displays CO level if it is higher than normal
Ardwolf Carbon Monoxide Alarm
The Ardwolf Carbon Monoxide Detector is simple and basic. It has no frills, and this is reflected in its price. If you want an inexpensive alarm, then this is a great go-to. If you are wary of its price, a few dollars more can get you more features such as a digital display.
– uses advanced technology and an electrochemical sensor to constantly measure home CO levels
– technology is similar to Nest Lab products, but this alarm is a fraction of the cost
– operated by battery (3 AA batteries are included with purchase)
– environmentally friendly and has no odor or radiation
– lifespan is 7 years after installation
– small and blends in with décor, especially ceiling where it is often mounted
– easy to home install
– does not have a digital display, so need to trust that it’s working
– compared to others on the list it’s priced cheaper which could speak to its quality?
First Alert PRC700 Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Another product from First Alert, the PRC700 Carbon Monoxide Detector is a basic unit that is easy to install and easy to use. While it does not have any frills, this can be a good thing for someone who just wants to keep their home protected. As a bonus, it also functions as a smoke detector.
– alarm works to detect both smoke and carbon monoxide
– carbon monoxide sensor is electrochemical, and the smoke sensor is photoelectric
– simple design makes it easy for anyone to use
– easy to install
– is fairly thin and can blend in with surroundings
– operated by batteries
– has an alarm/test button
– mounting system is a twist-lock which makes it easy to both mount and replace the battery
– comes with 2 AA batteries
– lack of a digital display, so need to trust that it works
– is basic and has no frills
– may have tendency to beep even when no smoke or carbon monoxide