If you are a professional or new hockey player, you should know just how vital hockey skates are. Skating around on the cement or ice can go wrong without using the right hockey skates.
Reviews of Best Hockey Skates – Top 9 Products of the Year
Here are best selling hockey skates on the market today
American Ice Force 2.0 Hockey Skate: Best choice
- Perfect skates for beginner skaters to intermediate skaters
- Indoor and Outdoor skates, good for pond hockey
The American Ice Force 2.0 Hockey Skate is durable and lightweight, thanks to its tough toe box and nylon holder. The sidewall features a polyvinyl chloride injection mold(PVC) to offer a customized fit and better support to your ankle. There are also copper rivets to provide incredible heel support.
Another impressive feature of this great ice skate is its easier sizing. Skaters don’t have to be very careful when choosing, as the sizes are close to your regular shoe sizes. The brand is focused on delivering the skates quickly, so you can start skating in no time.
Also, the stainless steel blade delivers a top-notch performance. Therefore, your speed and agility increase. Even better, both experienced and beginners will find American Ice Force 2.0 Hockey Skate helpful.
For the sake of comfort, the liner is made to be very breathable and soft. On top of that, it features a decent amount of padding for proper foot cushioning.
- Simple sizing
- Lightweight and tough due to nylon construction
- Well-padded and soft liner for comfort
- Rivets are made of copper for better heel support
- Stainless steel blade for faster strides
- Need to be careful when picking a size
Jackson Ultima Artiste Ice Skates
- PLEASE USE SIZING GUIDE TO CHOOSE A PROPER SIZE (SEE THE SECOND PICTURE) Artiste Series: JS1790 for Women, JS1791 for Girls, JS1792 for Men and JS1793 for Boys
Looking to purchase a simple but elegant skate? The Jackson Ultima Artiste Series Ice Skates are a must-have for you. This product is available in three color combinations – mainly white and black to take the spotlight.
This unit comes with microfiber lining and a softer topline to deliver incredible comfort and durability. On top of that, there’s memory foam padding to protect your ankle. On the exterior, it comes with a stylized PVC outsole to make maintaining this equipment hassle-free.
This unique design ensures the skate appears dark and clean at all times and requires minimal maintenance. Further, it comes with a high-quality chrome blade featuring an all-purpose design.
Also, there is a wide range of sizes to pick from. It offers options for adults, teenagers, older kids, and toddlers. Therefore, it is ideal for people looking to teach kids the basics.
- All-purpose chrome blade
- PVC outsole for easy care
- Microfiber liner for warmth and tough
- Available in multiple color options
- Weak attachment of the sole and boot
American Athletic Boot Hockey Skates
- Grey and Black camouflage pattern
- Soft boot hockey skate for non-competitive ice hockey and recreation
The American Athletic Boot Hockey Skates are a good option for recreational issues. This skate is designed to provide a decent amount of comfort and warmth, thanks to its thick foam padding construction, which doesn’t make the unit heavyweight.
In addition, this equipment is our top choice for its unparalleled footbed comfort and excellent multilayer ankle support. The former feature is important and should not be overlooked. Also, this pair features lace loops for speedy lacking and extra support with a snug custom fit using a velcro strap.
With durable steel blades and holders, American Athletic Boot Hockey Skates offer fantastic sturdiness and stability. Above all, the sizes are similar to regular shoe sizes.
- Custom snug fit
- multi-layered boot construction
- Velcro strap for added support
- carbon steel runner
- Blades are not installed correctly
Bauer Junior Supreme 140 Skate
- Supreme Skate Fit; Find the responsive action you're looking for with this anatomical, thermo-moldable skate
- The Supreme 140 skate comes with a premium nylon quarter and a Microfiber liner
For those on the market looking to purchase a hockey skate for your kids, then this Bauer Junior Supreme 140 Skate is a top pick. Its amazing structure works well for people with smaller feet and would complement your distinct foot shape, especially around the ankle and heel.
Another factor that makes this pair fit flawlessly is its thermo-moldable form. Therefore, offering your entire body better coordination, which increases the strength and their strides’ length.
For the sake of comfort and durability, these pairs come with a microfiber liner. Also, the quarter section is made of high-quality nylon to make it lightweight.
- Ideal for children and people with smaller feet
- Thermo-moldable structure offering a secure fit
- Comfortable and durable
- More powerful strides
- Due to its hard plastic-like construction, it might not be very comfortable
Jackson Ultima Softec Sport Ice Skates
- ST2300 Womens, ST2321 Girls
- Jackson Ultima ST2300 for Adult; Jackson Ultima ST2321 for Kids, Boys and Girls
Another model from Jackson Ultima is designed to help you perform better despite the cold – thanks to the soft padded tongue and Thinsulate lined upper to keep the foot warm.
While these pairs appear bulkier since they come with a thicker liner, they are surprisingly lightweight, allowing skaters to move freely. Another thing about Jackson Ultima Softec Sport Ice Skates is its synthetic outsole material.
This model has an appealing trim due to its color combination and durable upper build – thanks to its nylon construction. Even more, the leisure blade is compatible with the stainless steel runner.
- Foam tongue and Thinsulate liner for additional warmth
- Synthetic outsole for the sake of lightweight
- An ideal choice for winter
- Leisure blade and stainless steel runner
- The blade is the best use with static movements
Botas – Draft 281 – Men’s Ice Hockey Skates
- Recommended use: for active athletes
- Upper: resistant synthetic in combination with PA fabric
The Botas – Draft 281 – Men’s Ice Hockey Skates is a go-to for entry-level skaters looking to purchase a pair offering excellent protection. Thanks to the PA nylon and hard-wearing synthetic material, they come with stunning appearances and sturdy construction. It also includes padded microfiber lining for more comfort.
Further, it incorporates innovative Total Stability Technology to protect the toes. Also, there’s adequate ankle padding and plush synthetic velour lining for optimal comfort.
- durable synthetics
- For professionals
- Soft nylon fabric
- Need to tighten the laces for a snug fit
PowerSk8r Skate Weight
- We have one mission: SKATE FASTER IN 90 DAYS OR YOUR MONEY BACK.
- PowerSk8r Skate Weights have been ergonomically designed to provide a comfortable fit with non-slip foam padding to grip laces for utmost durability and consistent on-skate positioning. We found the toughest hook and loop straps to secure PowerSk8r to your skate and withstand short bursts, fast sprints, quick stops, and the occasional slap-shot to the boot.
Next on our list is PowerSk8r Skate Weight. This model comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee. These pairs feature an ergonomic design to offer a comfortable fit. It sports non-slip foam padding to deliver consistent on-stake positioning and optimal durability.
Also, the manufacturer included a sturdy hook and loop to withstand quick stops, fast sprints, occasional slap-shot, and short bursts. On top of that, it’s available in two sizes, one for youth skates and the other for adult skaters.
- Designed to boost performance
- Options for teen and adults
- Available in three color combinations
- The straps don’t fit well
Botas – Largo 571 PRO – Men’s Ice Hockey Skates
- Recommended use: for professional hockey skating and top class level
- Upper: durable synthetics with waterproof finish
This is a top choice for active athletes. The Botas – Largo 571 PRO – Men’s Ice Hockey Skates feature top-of-the-line quality construction.
The upper part of the skate is made of synthetic waterproof coating, which comes in handy when you have to skate in warmer places. You don’t want the snow or ice to drench your boot while melting.
On the interior, the soft nylon lining features synthetic material to avoid wearing and tearing. The blade comes with Icehawk Pro Blade using metals such as chromium, vanadium, and stainless steel. On top of that, the heel rivets are made of copper.
- Very durable due to nylon lining
- Blade offers powerful glides
- Easy to care
- Comes with a wax lace
Best Inline/roller Hockey Skates – INTEYUS Adjustable Inline Skates
- ✔4 Sizes-Size Adjustable ✔There are 4 subdivision segments for you to adjust, each 0.2 inches has its own size, as your child's feet grow, these shoes are perfectly fitted to bring unprecedented comfort.
- ✔LED-LIGHTING WHEELS ✔Each pair of inline skates is equipped with 8 cool flashing wheels that shine brightly at night, giving your child the confidence to turn into the brightest little star in the room! The wheels are designed as a self-powered system that does not require batteries.
Our last model is an inline hockey skate from Intelius. They are available in three sizes small, medium, and large. It comes with INTEY roller skates and two rubber brakes. For beginners, the foot breaks can come in handy for additional protection.
Also, it features an anti-collision toe to ensure your kids can play with confidence. The pairs include two light-up wheels for boys and kids. The best part is that they come with a self-generating power system, which means there’s no need for batteries.
- Multiple protection
- Light up wheels
- High-quality material and design
- Best used for kids
How to Pick the Right Hockey Skate
Every skater’s needs vary when it comes to preferred playing position, level of comfort, foot size, and skills. Therefore, it’s best to consider your personal needs and preferences when choosing.
We also discussed other factors to bear in mind to help you pick the best hockey skate.
Definitely, you should now be aware that skates are more than just metal blades. Some products are designed for road or street hockey, dry rinks, and also ice rinks. Also, this equipment is always built with a level of skill in mind. While there are hockey skates for professional use, others are for recreational purposes.
Ice Hockey Skates
The difference between inline and ice hockey skates is the mode of mobility. Inline models move using wheels, while ice skates feature blades, also known as runners. Also, the blade must include a skate holder because the runner is useless without it.
Let’s start with the holder. This plastic component is usually attached to the outsole of your boot. For simple hockey skates, the runner and holder are fused into one component, which is not recommended for active players.
Inline Hockey Skates
Unlike ice hockey skates with runners and holders, the inline type has bearings and wheels. But, to ensure you pick a quality, consider the durometer rating.
This rating determines the wheels’ durability; higher ratings mean stronger wheels for your street hockey. But, if skating on dry rinks, you should consider a lower rating than 76A since softer wheels offer more grip on this surface.
Recreational Hockey Skates
For recreation purposes, low-end hockey skates should be on top of your list. They come with a cheap price tag since they sport fewer features, which makes them comforting. Also, these units don’t come with padded liners since they have wide boots.
Professional Hockey Skates
Conversely, professionals opt for high-end hockey skates because of the impressive level of comfort offered. Unlike recreational skates, this type comes with a padded liner to remove discomfort from the stiff boots. Stiffness protects your feet from high impact from sticks and pucks and the effect of harsh use.
Professional hockey skate is usually light and narrower. Slimmer boots are recommended for fast and dynamic movement, while a tighter fit offers more agility.
Goalie Hockey Skates
Hockey skates meant for goalies come with a smaller tongue and lower cut. Goalies go for lower skates since they put on leg pads. This design allows free ankle movement for short and strong strides.
Sizing charts are not the same for all hockey skate brands out there. Therefore, you may have to rely on your regular shoe sizes.
Choosing your size
To ensure you pick a skate that fits perfectly, go for smaller sizes by subtracting 1 to 1.5 from your regular shoe size. This is often tricker for female skaters since most sizing charts are based on men’s shoes. Therefore, it’s best if you minus three from the sizing charts for females.
But for kids, you should add ½ to the sizing charts since they grow very fast.
Check the Fit
To pin down the right skate, you should check for a small gap between n the toe cap of the skat and your toe so as not to get your feet hurt. While it’s okay for your toes to touch the skate’s cap while standing, shoes must offer enough space when you bend your knees.
Also, to prevent overheating, the skate shoe should feature about ¼ inch gap in the heel area. The best way to check this is to lace up your skate, lean your body forwards and insert a finger behind the heels.
How to Lace Hockey Skates
For those with new pairs of skate laces, you need to know how to lace hockey skates to prevent your ankles from hurting and get enough flex.
In this post, we’ll list five easy ways to help lace your skates perfectly
- Under criss-cross lacing
- Over criss-cross lacing
- Lock lacing
- Dropping an eyelet
How to bake hockey skates
Here are the steps to bake your skates:
- Preheat your oven to 79 degrees Celsius or 175 degrees Fahrenheit
- Turn it off after preheating
- Place both or a single loose tongue skate on a baking tray
- Bake the hockey skate for about six to eight minutes
You need to use the right hockey skates to improve your performance, and in this article, here are the top 9 best hockey skates on the market.