The main purpose of a good lip gloss is to add luster and moisture to your lips, along with a subtle touch of color if that’s what you’re going for. As such, a decent lip gloss can be used instead of lipstick or along with one, depending on the type of gloss you feel most comfortable with. A lot can be said about the different types of lip gloss and the particularities that set them apart from one another, yet it is perhaps best if you focus on what exactly makes a good lip gloss to begin with. To help you in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best lip glosses the market has to offer right now.
Table of Contents
Our Top Picks for the Best Lip Glosses
NYX Professional Makeup Butter Gloss
Providing a clear shimmer and glossy shine, Nyx’s Professional Makeup Butter Gloss leaves your lips looking naturally smooth and shiny. Uniquely put together with apricot and sunflower oil along with beeswax, this high-quality lip gloss nourishes, softens, and conditions the lips while helping them moisturize dry lips while adding vibrant color and shine. Available in beautiful shades of red, plum, nude, and pink, this lip gloss is 100% natural and quite safe to use overall. Non-greasy and non-sticky yet ultra-nourishing, this lip gloss penetrates deep and eliminates the dryness and flakiness of chapped lips.
SHANY Cosmetics The Wanted Ones Lip Gloss Set
[amazon box= “B016DLLSVO”]
SHANY Cosmetics ‘The Wanted Ones’ is a 12-piece lip gloss set that includes the most common and widely used colors and shades. Ingeniously crafted and put into clear tubes that allow for easy visibility of the colors, each shade offers a unique finish in more ways than one. The colors include oranges, pinks, reds, and nudes, each of different opacity. Put together in a healthy fashion and blended with Vitamin E and Aloe Vera, its unique formula helps to nourish and condition the lips, leaving them smooth and soft.
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss
[amazon box= “B00CUGORRE”]
Featuring a lightweight, luscious formula, the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss leaves your lips smooth and silky without feeling sticky. Thanks to its blend of high-quality ingredients and pigments, it helps to enhance the shine and glossiness and moisturizes your lips, leaving them hydrated and plump. Designed with an easy to use applicator brush, it allows smooth and even application and can be utilized alone or as a top coat. Loaded with Vitamin C and E, this conditioning lip gloss also features SPF15, which protects your lips from harmful UV rays throughout the day.
COVERGIRL Colorlicious Gloss Honeyed Kiss
[amazon box= “B00J2AUDGK”]
With the High Shine Gloss, you get a highly pigmented, vibrant lip gloss that offers good coverage and shine with just one coat. Uniquely crafted with high-quality elements and ingredients, it stays on your lips and maintains its color throughout the day. Made with honey nectar, it helps to nourish and moisturize your lips leaving them well conditioned and smooth. Free from wax and other harmful chemicals, it is safe to use and provides a clean, silky shine that you can rely on for hours after applying it.
SHANY All That She Wants Lipgloss Set
[amazon box= “B016DLLS4G”]
Providing intense color and shine, the All That She Wants Lipgloss Set comes in 12 different finishes including jelly, creamy and shimmer. Thanks to its high-quality formula and blend of natural ingredients, it conditions and moisturizes your lips keeping them soft for at least 4 hours after application. Made with Vitamin E and other essential oils it nourishes the lips and protects them from chapping and drying out. Then again, this is precisely what one should look for when choosing a lip gloss to begin with.
NYX Cosmetics Butter Lip Gloss
[amazon box= “B00VVUW7TU”]
Known for its creamy texture and high quality, the NYX Cosmetics Butter Lip Gloss is a highly pigmented product that coats your lips evenly, leaving it with a smooth, glass-like finish. Non-sticky and light in consistency, it does not feel heavy on your lips. Thanks to its versatile formula with premium quality ingredients, it plumps up your lips and keeps them nourished and soft throughout the day. Crafted with an easy to use spatula applicator, one layer of this lip gloss will leave your lips glistening with color all day long.
Beauty My Way Professional Shimmering Lip Gloss
[amazon box= “B07GFTBW4X”]
Available in 5 different shades of pink, the Professional Shimmering Lip Gloss Set from Beauty My Way is a long-lasting smooth and high-quality gloss that does not rub off easily. Including shades like fuchsia, peach, ice pink, beige, and rust, this set can be utilized to compliment any day or night look. Crafted with a unique blend of ingredients, it features a smooth consistency and contains SPF15 which helps to protect your lips from the harmful rays of the sun. Leaving your lips with an elegant subtle shine, it does not dry up or peel off during the day.
Burt’s Bees Lip Gloss
[amazon box= “B00A46OKFG”]
Tasked with rendering your lips well-nourished and shiny, the Burt’s Bees Lip Gloss is a 100% natural gloss that is both ultra-silky and smooth. Crafted with beeswax and sunflower oil, this lip gloss ensures your lips are moisturized and look healthy at all times. Made from 100% natural ingredients, it does not contain harmful agents like parabens, SLS, Phthalates, and petrolatum. Available in 12 different shades ranging from pinks, reds, nudes, and plums, you just need one quick coat that would provide you with that flattering look you’re going for.
Maybelline New York Shinesensational Lip Gloss
[amazon box= “B002XHDPU0”]
The Maybelline New York Shinesensational Lip Gloss is a premium quality product available in a variety of 18 flavors and fragrances. Some of these include mint, candy, watermelon punch, peach, grape, cherry bloom and many more. Lightweight and with a smooth consistency, it leaves your lips smelling fragrant with a light flavor. Giving your lips the shimmer and shine you need, it does not feel thick and watery and never feels too heavy. Not only does this gloss add shine and shimmer, but it also helps to condition and moisturize your lips leaving them smooth, soft, and healthy.
NYX Cosmetics Mega Shine Lip Gloss
[amazon box= “B005PKLUJA”]
Delivering moisture, shimmer, and smoothness, the NYX Cosmetics Mega Shine Lip Gloss nourishes the lips and covers it with glistening, vibrant color. Formulated with high-quality ingredients, this lip gloss features a blend of mineral and lanolin oils that work towards keeping the lips soft and well-nourished throughout the day. Available in a wide range of 64 different colors and shades to choose from, this lip gloss also helps to keep your lips protected from the harmful rays of the sun as well as irritants.
What To Look For In A Lip Gloss
Presuming that you already have a good idea about what constitutes a decent lip gloss in your mind at least, you should take the necessary steps to learn as much as you can about the wide selection the market has to offer at this point in time. We say that because one can easily feel overwhelmed by the sheer variety of choices available, each with their own particularities. What you want at the end of the day, is a lip gloss that you can rely on to nourish, beautify, and protect your lips throughout the day with as few applications as possible.
Choosing The Right Lip Gloss
- Color/Finish – It is important to know what color and finish you are in search of. Are you looking for something that is natural and more subdued or are you looking for a bright vibrant shade? For those in search of natural shade, it is better to go for a transparent gloss or something that matches the natural shade of your lips. For those looking for a higher pigmented lip gloss with a darker shade, always keep in mind the color of your lips and what it would look like against your skin color.
- Wear Time – Depending on your daily lifestyle and the amount of time you spend outdoors, you may need to select a lip gloss that is designed to last longer on your lips without worrying about constantly having to touch up. With a wide variety of lip glosses to choose from there are many that come with a longer wear time and might be a bit more expensive than others, but this solely depends on personal preference.
- Fragrance – No matter the beauty product, it is important to keep fragrance in mind while selecting an item. Although fragrance depends on personal choice, some people may not like strong scents and may want a lip gloss that is fragrance-free to some extent. Choosing a lip gloss with a mild scent is definitely a better option than one with an unpleasant strong scent, at least by popular standards.
- Consistency – A good quality lip gloss should be lightweight and should not feel heavy on your lips. The consistency and texture of your lip gloss should always be smooth and non-sticky. It should also feel natural on your lips and not cause any discomfort to speak of. Lip glosses that are thick and goopy usually tend to catch any stray strands of hair around your face, placing you in an uncomfortable situation from time to time.
- Price – Before narrowing your search, it is important to know how much you would like to spend on a lip gloss. Lip glosses come in a varied range of prices, but it solely depends on the kind you are looking for. Interestingly enough, you might not find it necessary to go for an expensive lip gloss as it isn’t always guaranteed that it would give you the quality and performance you are looking for. It is, therefore, vital to check reviews and other consumer ratings to check on what previous users have to say about a particular product you may like. While considering the price of the product, of course, it is also important that you do not compromise on quality.
Types Of Lip Gloss
Similar to lipsticks and liners, lip glosses are available in a wide range of colors and shades one can choose from. Depending on personal preference, you may go for something lighter, more neutral or something darker and more pigmented. Here is a brief inventory of the shades that most women consider to be ideal for different skin colors:
- Fair Skin – Women who have fair skin tend to look best in pinks, nudes, and lighter shades as compared to darker reds and plums. However, if you are dressing up for a night out, a vibrant popping shade would perhaps be best as it would blend with any extravagant attire you might be going for.
- Medium Skin Tone – Brownish shades including rose, berry, and mauve are the perfect shades for a woman with a medium colored skin tone. This is also seen as a more professional look, one that you perhaps go for whenever you are getting ready for a professional encounter.
- Dark Skin – Chocolate shades, reds and plums are the best choices of colors for women who have a dark colored skin tone. Not only would this accentuate their facial beauty but would also make them stand out in a crowd.
Prepping Your Lips Before Applying Lip Gloss
It is always best to apply lip gloss or any lipstick or liner, on smooth, even lips. Most women suffer from chapped, dry and flaky lips at some point in time, especially during winter. To ensure that you’re always fully prepared for wearing lip gloss, make sure that you:
- Wipe your lips with a clean, damp cloth. This will ensure that your lips are perfectly clean, in preparation for what happens next.
- Apply a generous coat of Vaseline and brush your lips using a clean toothbrush. This will help to remove all the flakiness and dryness.
- Next, make a paste using brown sugar and coconut oil. You can also use almond oil or olive oil if you feel inclined to. Apply this paste onto your lips and scrub in a circular motion for a few minutes. This method will help moisturize the lips thoroughly.
- Lastly, apply a lip scrub. (Lip scrubs are available in a variety of flavors and textures). Once you are done, wipe your lips with a clean cloth and you are good to go.